Thursday, July 13, 2006

Here's to the nights we felt alive

It was amazing. I reached there early, at 6, and walked into the playden, and it was AMAZING. It's kind of like a black box, but bigger - David Marshall's old rooms converted into a theatre which seats 145. The seats are in a U, so that the performers on stage, or rather, the floor, are surrounded on three sides. And the acoustics in there are brilliant.

Then the main show walked in. Three of the most friendly, gregarious and supportive-for-someone-who's-never-done-this-before-and-beginning-to-wonder-what-she-had-gotten-herself-into people I've ever met. They explained what it was they normally do, demonstrated, off the cuff, what the items were like, let me try some improv stuff with them, told me I'll be fine, and then it was time for the show to start.

About 50ish people, including my dad, toot (i lurrrve you), her friend and shane (blueberry muffin! and yes, sushi). Mostly expats, followers of the local and international improv scene, but quite a few locals and obvious first-timers as well. A little shy in the beginning, but nothing a little warm-up couldn't solve. I started off pretty tense, not quite sure when to do what and how, (and royally screwed up riverdance and the pirates. but to my defence...RIVERDANCE?! think i've gotta start listening to more styles. *grinz.) but, nevertheless, laughing my head off. Had the most fun playing for the musical segment, though again I think I need to work on range of styles. Oooh perfect excuse for getting random CDs whoopeeee~

The above doesn't do it justice. Twas amazing, I was amazed, and I can't wait to do it again. :)

On a more sober note...I miss mp10. Meeting sy today (let's go costume shopping babe), but missing the mp10 outing on saturday. And they'd all be there. *sulk. Eunice you're not helping either: "don't worry babe, lots of pressure :)". Sigh. I'll be around the area though, I'll drop by if I can.

There's not much time left, is there? And many promises to be kept. Though my mind keeps going, "it's only eight weeks! How bad could eight weeks be? And you WANT to be there!" And, in all honesty, I do. It's a dream come true, and though the real excitement hasn't set in yet (don't worry, I'll warn you when it does), there's this thrill of happiness every time I think about it.

I think I'm not naturally someone who forms close bonds, as sad as that may sound. I mean, I can get close to a person. And be
close to a person. And miss him/her like hell when they're not around. But I don't collapse when it happens. I have moments of "what am I gonna do without her/him", but it's not dread. It doesn't mean I love any of you less though. The non-feeling scares me sometimes, but I guess it's something I'll have to get used to. Intellectually and gut-feelingly I know it's going to be tough as hell. But emotionally? No warning yet. Wonder if that's normal. Heh.

As for the title of this post. I felt alive last night. And I guess the more I feel that, the harder it'll be to move on. There's much wisdom in those lyrics. If you don't feel life you'll never feel death, although death is hardly what I'm moving on to. It's a brand new stage, and I can't wait...but like an old friend said, things won't be the same any more.

Here's to the times we knew we'd cry
Here's to goodbye, tomorrow's gonna come too soon




No comments: